Who doesn’t love chili? And what hunter doesn’t love venison chili?
This is the best tasting version of this classic dish.
This recipe has been a backbone of Hank Shaw’s game cooking for many years, and he has tinkered with it all this time. It has won numerous chili cookoffs and, may well be the best chili you’ve ever eaten. Doubt me? Make it. You’ll see.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 3 hours
- 1 pound pinto or black beans (optional)
- 4 each, dried ancho, guajillo, pasilla, cascabel, mirasol or mulato chiles
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo or bacon
- 2 to 3 pounds venison, ground or diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet or smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder (optional)
- 2 or 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup of black coffee
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- Beef or venison broth (have a quart ready)
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro and shredded cheese to garnish