Do you use your AR for hunting game? I use my Ar-15 for a variety of hunting scenarios especially hog and coyote hunting. My first AR build was a complete lower and a complete mid length upper with your standard m4 style handguard. I quickly learned my handguard needed an upgrade to use accessories like lights and bipods mounted on the weapon. I looked at various handguards based upon what I needed to hunt comfortably especially night hunting.
After much thought and research, I made a decision and ordered the Magpul MOE mid length handguard. It arrived quickly, It was super easy to install, very functional, looks great on my rifle and absolutely more then rigid enough to mount accessories. After many hunts with this AR-15 build I decided to write this review in hopes it will help someone else make this decision.
- MOE Hand Guard, Mid-Length
- Weight: 8.74 oz.
- Length, overall: 9.2 in.
- Length, mounting: 8.6 in.
- Height, excluding lip: 2.5 in.
- Width, max: 2.2 in.
- Replaces standard plastic AR15 mid-length hand guards
- Compatible with both ‘direct impingement’ and most piston-driven gas systems
- Easy to install utilizing existing delta ring and round or triangular front hand guard retaining cap
- Slots at the two, six, and ten o’clock positions for mounting MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rails or other optional accessories
- Reinforced, heat-resistant polymer construction
- Integral riveted aluminum heat shield
- Front lip and side extensions, shields hand from hot gas block
- Relieved area at the top rear accommodates most overhanging optic mounts
Made in USA
The Magpul MOE Hand Guard combines the light weight of a standard hand guard with modular flexibility. It’s a much tighter mount than the standard M4 most rifles come with. It is very versatile with slots at the two, six, and ten o’clock positions that allow for mounting of Picatinny rail sections for tactical lights and other accessories. The reinforced, heat-resistant polymer construction provides operational durability without the weight and expense of an aluminum rail hand guard. The construction with flanges coming forward on the sides, and down on the bottom protects your hand from hot front sight assembly if you use a modern aggressive for-end grip. It looks great on the rifle and gives it that modern look.
Overall this is a solid, well-built, top notch product from Magpul. For the price I highly recommend it and you should buy with confidence.
What is your AR setup for hunting? Tell me about it or show me some pictures in the comments.